Skip to main content

Scharffen Berger Chocolate Truffles

Truffles are always a wonderful addition to a chocolate assortment, so I thought it would go well in my Valentine's Day box.  I opted for plain and to use Scharffen Berger chocolate since it already has a very complex flavor profile.  When flavoring with a liqueur or an oil, I prefer to use Guittard since it has a flatter chocolate flavor that can be easily and tastily influenced. And, even though I like to do lots of experimenting with unique truffle flavorings, I would go so far as to say plain Scharffen Berger Chocolate truffles are my favorite. :)

Stacey's Scharffen Berger Chocolate Truffle Ingredients:
24 oz Scharffen Berger 62% semisweet chocolate
12 oz heavy cream, organic
3 oz glucose
1.5 oz butter, soft, not melted
Chocolate flake
Organic Turbinado Sugar

I buy my glucose from a distributor, but I think I saw some at the Ferry Building's Boulette's Larder before.  For this recipe, I tempered the chocolate (instructions from previous blog) first. Then I added the glucose to the cream and heated it on 30 second intervals in the microwave in a pyrex glass measuring cup until the cream reached 90F as well.  Then I poured the cream into the melted chocolate and stirred in small circles, fairly slowly, in order to keep the emulsion. 


Once the cream is all mixed in, I threw the butter in on top.  You have to make sure the butter is soft but not melted.  If it is melted, it makes for heavier feeling truffles.  At least, that's what the Chocolates & Confections book says.
This is a pretty big batch, so I opted to save my arm and use my immersion blender with the whisk attachment.  Also, I tend to have problems with little globules of butter ending up in there, unstirred, when I do it by hand.



There, all nice and mixed.  I spread a piece of plastic wrap on the surface and then let it set overnight.  The next day, I got my 1-1/8" scooper out that I use for truffling and scooped out the truffles.

I then shaped these by hand into balls, and then rolled them in a mixture of chocolate flake and turbinado sugar.  I start with a 4:1 flake:sugar ratio, but the sugar tends to sink to the bottom.  It's a taste / look thing.  I just add flake and sugar until it looks like this:

And the rolled truffles look like this:
The sugar gives it a nice decoration and also a great little crunch.

I'll leave you with a fun macro shot of them in their little Valentine's Day red candy cups... yummy...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Throwing some shade

Ombre Flowers So I wanted to try that new ombre cake frosting trend.  I used whip cream here on an eggless chocolate cake I made for a potluck at work (for those egg-free individuals on my team).  Everyone was sufficiently impressed.  I was a little disappointed at the messiness of the blue/purple end, and I kinda ran out of cream, but it tasted good. Anyway... Eggless Chocolate Cake 2 c sugar 1 3/4 c flour 3/4 c unsweetened cocoa powder 1.5 tsp baking powder 1.5 tsp baking soda 1/2 c sunflower oil, organic 1 c whole milk, organic 1 c boiling water 1 tsp salt 3 tbs flax seeds Roses 2 c heavy cream 1/4c sour cream 1 tsp vanilla ½ c powdered sugar food coloring (if desired) Pre-heat oven to 350F. Soak flax seeds in milk for an hour or overnight (or use flax meal). Blend (I used a stick blender).  Mix dry ingredients. Mix in wet ingredients, with boiling water being last. Pour into cake pan (9x13).  Bake for 30 min, rotating once.    Let cake

Chocolate Banana Muffins with Cream Cheese Frosting

I made these for a potluck. Three people asked me for the recipe. Now you can be part of the three!  Ingredients: 3 large ripe bananas, mashed 3 tbs butter 3 tbs oil 2 eggs 1/3 c buttermilk 1 tsp vanilla 3/4 c sugar 1/2 tsp salt 2 c flour 3/4 c baking soda 1/2 c cocoa powder 2 tbs butter 1/2 c milk chocolate chips (but you can use any kind) Chocolate dipped banana chips and decorating sugar (optional) Preheat oven to 350F. Mix all the first set of ingredients together (all the wet + sugar and salt). Mix in the flour and baking soda. Split the batter in half and add the cocoa powder, 2 tbs butter, and chocolate chips to 1 half. You might have to use a mixer because the cocoa powder gets clumpy. Fill muffin cups with half of each kind of batter. Bake for 20-22 minutes. Makes about 18 muffins. Cream cheese frosting ingredients: 1 – 8oz pkg cream cheese 5 tbs butter 1 tbs sour cream 1 tsp vanilla (I used vanilla bean paste) 1 c p

No-Boil Pasta Bake

I was looking all over for pasta bakes that use uncooked pasta. After some modifications due to missing ingredients (my ricotta went bad) this was the random recipe that got my husband to eat like 2.5 helpings and my 4-year-old son to eat a bowl after telling me he didn't want any. Not sure if that's a good thing, but it at least indicated that it tasted good. :)  Ingredients 8 oz uncooked pasta (I used gemelli because I like the shape) 15 oz Sonoma Gourmet Roasted Vegetable pasta sauce (you can use any pasta sauce you like - this is just what we had) 1 c milk 1/4 c water 1/3 c grated parmesan 1 lb sausage (optional) 3/4 c riced cauliflower (optional) More grated parmesan and cheddar for the top Fresh ground black pepper I only threw in the sausage for flavor and the cauliflower so we could pretend we're eating vegetables. Preheat oven to 375F. If you're using sausage and cauliflower, cook the sausage in a pan first and throw in the cauliflower at the